Monday 22 June 2009

Sharapova writes off her title chances

Maria Sharapova has written off her hopes of recapturing her Wimbledon Ladies’ title.
Back in 2004 she crushed Serena Williams in straight sets to become champion, but the Russian beauty is just back from 10 months out with a shoulder injury.

“Just to be here is already an accomplishment in itself. When I look back to where I was 10 or 11 months ago or even three.I'm definitely blessed after playing a few tournaments and getting a few matches on grass,” News of the World quoted Sharapova, as saying. “Every tournament is still a test. It's almost like the beginning of the season. I am still testing where my game is, where my shoulder is,” she added.

Seeded 24, she faces Viktoriya Kutuzova of the Ukraine in the first round.

“It is too soon to put winning in my mind. This is definitely a time in my career where I can't look into possible third, fourth round, semis,” Sharapova said.

No comments: